Saturday, June 13, 2009

THE CAKE IS BAKED!

After a few months of planning and dreaming, the cake is finally baked!


Yes, I left the cookbook at home (oops);
Yes, I tried to break into a random old man's house (story for another time);
Yes, I forgot a key ingredient (shhh)

But all in all, it was a really successful day!


Tony and I baked a three-tiered square chocolate cake with three layers each (6in, 8in, 10in), as well as a two-layer half sheet vanilla cake (aka the biggest cake layer I've EVER baked). I really hope that these cakes feed 100 people...though I'm considering making another half-sheet cake, just in case...we'll see. Here is a tally of what went down this morning:

Start time: 7am
Cups of flour: 16
Cups of sugar: 14
Pounds of butter: 4
Eggs: 22
Cups of coffee: 3.5
Cups of buttermilk: 6
Cups of cocoa powder: 4.5
Washings of the kitchen-aid mixer bowl: 5
Washings of cake pans: 11
Yards of saran wrap: 25
Hours to do it all: 7

But the cakes are baked!!!


The cakes are baked!!!


(I just can't say it enough!)


They still need to be leveled, filled and frosted, but the next task is to figure out what frostings to make and what fillings to use. Pshh I've got weeks to do that!

For now, the cakes are happily freezing and I can rest easy knowing that the cakes are baked!!

4 comments:

sarahst*r said...

i can't wait to see the finished product!

cinr said...

the poundage of butter makes me ill...the cakes, however, make me hungry.

Traci said...

awesome...i want some.

Stephanie said...

Erin...you are amazing!!! Those cakes look great.