Tonight, Amanda and Havah and I went to go see a screening of "Call + Response," a documentary about human trafficking in the US and the world. It was rather eye-opening. Especially one part (I cringe even thinking about it) where they discussed the practice of selling young girls for their virginity, and then once they have been raped, they sew their hymens and sell them again a day later. The buyer thinks he has purchased a virgin because the young girl bleeds and is in a lot of pain. What a terrible practice!
Another part featured a journalist who traveled through Cambodia to study the trafficking happening in that country. He became rather attached to two young girls, and bought them from their keeper. He paid $100 and $203 for the two girls. He then sent them back to their families, and they rejoiced because they thought their daughters were dead. But then a few days later, one of the girls ran away and went back to her brothel because she was addicted to meth, and her addiction was too strong to fight. The brothels sure know how to keep girls there.
The documentary made the point that people go through their lives in ignorance and then when they are told about some terrible practice, they are paralyzed. They have no idea what they can do or how they can effect the problem. One person seems so insignificant. But together, we can have an effect.
I urge you to check out the documentary: http://callandresponse.com/
Also related is the Not For Sale campaign: http://www.notforsalecampaign.org/
Take action.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Paralyzed
Posted by Erin at 11:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
the tough thing is now doing something. what do you do once you have the information about it existing? how do you as an individual save these girls?
That's exactly what they mean by paralysis. :(
Amanda told ADX to go-- I think we're taking a group of us this weekend. It should be super informative. I hope that it inspires people to take action-- I guess we just have to listen to our hearts and the calls on our lives *shrugs in paralysis*
Post a Comment