Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Wait - what?

Today is April 15th - the dreaded tax deadline. Having filed my taxes months ago, I am struck not by this deadline, but by the deadline FAST approaching: graduation. Seriously? It's April 15th? I don't even know where the time went. So what have I been doing since last post? Eating.

Thanks to Steph and Lisa for introducing me (or letting me stalk their blog and gain interest) to food blogs. I don't know how I've lived without these for so long. The wonderful writing, the endless recipes, and now I get to reap the benefits. And you get to see photos.

I give you tapas:

What a BEAUTIFUL tortilla de patatas!

It tasted so good! And wasn't too difficult to make! That's the thing about recipes - if you can follow directions, you can make anything. Coming up with the recipe is the trick. But I'm more than satisfied with following the advice of others. My stomach is too.

So many Spanish delights! Sangria, tortilla, manchego, patatas bravas, and a wonderful garbanzo mixture.


Too much savory? I give you sweet:

Charlotte, Tracie and I made Sparsha a birthday cake. One of the most fantastic cakes I've ever made (and tasted!!).

This gooey mess was light and delicious.

The birthday girl - so deserving of a chocolatey treat!

If my waistline hasn't proved it, food blogs have changed my world. If you don't read them (at least this one), you should.

Other things I've made lately (and highly recommend):
Pasta and Butter and Pine Nuts
Buffalo Chicken Salad <--i just got her cookbook...SO GOOD!
Salmon in Lemon Brodetto

Food blogs, thank you for keeping me interested and well-fed. Everyone within a 3 mile radius of me thanks you too. As a way of properly saying "thank you," I give you a recipe in return. This is a delicious salad, and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. It's also perfect for this time of year, when we crave fresh, springy things.

Mandarin Orange Salad

Ingredients:
1/4 cup almonds (sliced)
1 T + 1 tsp white sugar
1/4 head lettuce
1/4 head romaine
2 stalks celery (chopped)
2 green onions (chopped)
11 oz. can of mandarin oranges (fresh would be really good too, but I am lazy)
--dressing--
1/4 cup oil (vegetable or canola - canola is a bit healthier)
2 T sugar
1 T fresh chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
dash red pepper sauce (tobasco)

Directions:
In a fry pan, cook almonds and sugar over low heat until sugar melts and coats the almonds. The almonds should be toasted brown. Tear or slice the lettuce and romaine and mix with chopped celery and onions. Mix dressing ingredients. Toss dressing over salad with mandarin oranges and almonds.

Serves 4...and they'll be begging for more.


3 comments:

Stephanie said...

oh erin, you're so cute. i LOOOVE reading about your food adventures. and i want that cake recipe! happy birthday to sparsha!

Secreta said...

Erin, thank you so much for the making of that cake--thanks to tracie and charlotte as well. I had such a good time--such a memorable night. I love you!

p.s. I have a blog now too--free sky blue spirit or "i-am-an-alien"

Susie said...

Gasp! Those goodies look amazing!