My sophomore year of high school, my mentor introduced me to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. The basic idea is that at every point in a person's life, they are striving to achieve Self Actualization. But various needs must be satisfied before this can be achieved: physiological needs; basic safety, food and shelter; love and belongingness; and self esteem.
A person's path to Self Actualization is dynamic - they are always getting hung up on the supporting levels. For instance, last year when I was finishing school and looking for apartments, I was anxious about my living situation and had a hard time escaping the safety and security level. Or when all else is going well and then I screwed up on a project at work, I get hung up at the self esteem level.
The Hierarchy of Needs is something that I always think about. I can confidently say that at points of my life, I have reached Self Actualization, but it's always temporary, as life is so unpredictable.
Most recently, I find myself stuck in the love and belongingness level. I'd like to ask for your prayers for me and also for my family. Everyone wants to love others and be loved by others, but it can't always be the case. Especially when stubbornness runs in your family.
But one day (soon I hope), I will again be satisfied in the love and belongingness area, and continue on my path to Self Actualization.
0 comments:
Post a Comment