Dear Uncle Nav (Or so you've been called by Marcus),
This past year has been awesome. Thank you!
Jay says that I've been a grown-up for one full year. Reflecting on this, I feel so far away from being grown-up. I have basically nothing in my life figured out. I am constantly failing at my job (well, maybe constantly is too strong because I fail much less now, compared to when I first started work), I still have no idea what I will be doing in the future (grad school? new job? who even knows!) but the weird thing is...I'm totally ok with all of that.
Working has definitely taught me that some things don't change. Time keeps going, seasons don't really matter, and work continues. Some things are no longer in your control. You must meet deadlines and you must work harder and longer than you thought possible. You (sometimes) must work until you think you're going to break.
But then working rewards you. Yes, it gives you a nice income. Yes, it gives you a sense of security in these uncertain economic times. But it also teaches you all kinds of interesting things. I have learned a ton during this past year. I don't always feel like a fool when I approach a new project (it's about time!), I am becoming a go-to person for certain skills (statistics, what?), and I am feeling way more confident in my work product (though I still find it hard to believe that people pay my company so much for my time and effort).
Work also gives you really good friends. I am so happy that I decided to work for you, Uncle Nav. The people that I have met are seriously awesome. I've made some really good friends in this past year, and I am thankful for meeting them and developing relationships with them. The work is good, but it's really the people that make coming in each day really worthwhile. From the Brain Trust to the Brain Farts to the 13th floor, all of the friends that I have made are amazing.
So thanks a lot, Uncle Nav. It's been an awesome year.
Here's to the future :)
-E
Monday, July 27, 2009
An Open Letter to Uncle Nav
Posted by Erin at 11:16 PM
Labels: one year naviversary
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment