Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's like the fun never ends

Yesterday, as I was BART-ing home, I couldn't stop smiling. I was reflecting on how God has blessed me so much lately. I've noticed some really cool changes in a lot of aspects of my life, and I am really happy with the way things are going. Part of that is that I was so excited to go home and cook dinner with my roommates! Monday nights are quickly becoming my favorite night of the week. I love that we have a designated roomie night (even though we often have guests - which is awesome) and I love trying new and interesting dishes. Last week we made sushi; this week, we made tortilla soup and chille relleno. FHE is so much fun!

Tomorrow is my first Navigant soccer game. It's going to be ridiculous - I haven't played soccer since I was a kid, but I'm really looking forward to it. I also hope that I don't make a total fool of myself. Ha! But whatev, it will be super fun! We play on a pier in North Beach on a smaller soccer field, so it won't be /too/ intense (or so people claim). I think it will be neat. The one lame thing is that it is definitely going to rain tomorrow night...extreme soccer!

Bible study is going really well. Last week we had an awesome conversation about Matthew 6 (the one where Jesus directs us to do things in secret). One kid brought up a point that I'd been mulling over lately in my personal study - being selfish in your relationship with God. In reading this, Jesus says that we will get a reward from God for praying, fasting, giving, etc. But should we do these things FOR the reward? For me at first, it seems obvious that we shouldn't...but God wants to reward us, right? We know that we are aiming for a place with God at the end of our lives, and that we strive for that through our actions toward others and our relationship with God...but if we know we are going for this reward, does that change our motivation? If there was no reward at the end, or rather, there was only a terrible alternative, would we behave in the same way? ...Anyway, I'm still figuring this out and thinking it over.

I'll let you know how soccer goes tomorrow :)

2 comments:

Jess said...

I'm so excited to hear about your soccer adventures!

Tracie said...

a) you didn't let us know about soccer! Was excited to learn about the muddy cold soccery night!
b) I'm so glad that you are noticing the many blessings in your life. The Big Guy deserves beaucoup praise, for sure! (can I get an Amen?)
c) Did you girls have French night this week? Crêpes? Glace? Gateau avec chantilly?