I've always been kind of torn about announcing what I'm giving up/adding for Lent. I always think of Matthew 6:16-18:
"And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
So, this year, unlike anything I've ever done for Lent, I am giving up driving. No, not riding in cars at all, and not forcing my roommates to be my chauffeurs. But I drive at times when it's totally unnecessary. Like when I drive 1 block to go to the supermarket when I want the trip to be quick. I have a bike, I have legs, and those times that I would make my trip shorter by taking the car, I can spend in prayer or reflection. I'm pretty excited about this, actually.
So Riley, my lovely Rav4, enjoy your time at rest. I'll see you again on April 12th!
0 comments:
Post a Comment