Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama-fied

Oh, inauguration. I have to admit, my main motivation for coming to DC was to see Tracie. Does that make me unpatriotic? Unamerican? I can't help that I love the girl and hate that she is 2,797 miles away from me. I mean, I was excited to witness some history in the making, of course, but Obama never excited me. I didn't like that he wasn't accepting of nuclear power. I didn't like that he later supported it "as part of the solution" in order to appease more people. I didn't like that Time magazine had a love affair with him. I was pretty apathetic throughout the whole election (except whenever Sarah Palin talked about 'energy independence' and her vast experience with oil in Alaska...HA!). I liked the John McCain of 2000. I liked Mike Huckabee (the guy ran a joke of a campaign but knew it, accepted it, and ran with it. And never hid what he was about). I think I found it hard to get behind Obama because it felt like America's biggest bandwagon, and I found it impossible to believe that putting your faith in one person to save the country was a good idea. (Obama <> Jesus).

But inauguration was amazing. Amazing.

Think about the last time you saw 2 million smiling people. Think about when you stood among strangers and made instant friends. Think about cheering and shouting and sheer excitement in the air. Now triple that experience, and maybe you have inauguration. It was amazing.

Everyone was so incredibly happy to hear Obama speak. He wows us with his words. He empowers people of all types. He makes us proud of our country. And he won me over. Even now I can't believe I'm writing a pseudo-love post to Obama.

I like that the man sees the big picture. That he can get past the economy and onto other issues like the environment, our schools, and our failing government. "The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works." Thank goodness.

So, Obama, it took me a while, but I like you and I'm not afraid to admit it.

3 comments:

Tracie said...

Haha, and here I thought I had to lure you out here by telling you to come out for the inauguration. You're saying that all I had to do was say to come out and visit me? I'll remember that next time :)
So glad you're here, and that being out here made you more excited for our new President man.

cinr said...

that excitement is what i felt the first time i saw him speak with amanda s. in oakland. though, there were only 12,000 people present at that event.

Jess said...

you're totally right- he's like the second coming. Did you see the new whitehouse website? way better than the old one, but I could use a little more flash. It popped up like 5 mins after the swearing, kinda like the afghan oil deals and sasha/melaia's new puppy...