I asked Chris this evening what he would like for Christmas. He then spent 20 minutes thinking about whether or not it makes sense to even give gifts anymore. Does gift giving mean anything nowadays? If so, what? If not, what happened?
I think that it does, but maybe in a different sense. I think that it's nice to take advantage of a particular time of year to let people know that we love and appreciate them. But giving "stuff" may not be the best way to do it. We like the idea of non-traditional gifts - spending time with one another, doing some event together, or doing some service for one another. Maybe it would be really nice to finally help your mom paint your old room at Christmas. Maybe giving your time and love is the ultimate gift.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Christmas gifting?
Posted by Erin at 9:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with you, Erin. I was just talking to my brother about this... I asked him if he would give me bowling lessons for Christmas (and I would pay for the lane and shoes as his gift). I asked because I wanted something where we got to spend some time together (and because I stink at bowling, whereas he took a bowling class in high school).
i'm going to get my mom a book for us to read/discuss together. that way it provides us with plenty to talk about and to share.
i think for Christmas you should make it a point to visit New Orleans next year while I am still living there
Post a Comment