Monday, March 30, 2009

As promised...

Well, we went to the healing mission tonight. I have mixed opinions. The guy had a really good message -- we all need to make time for Jesus and develop a relationship with God. He stressed the importance of prayer and taught us how to pray for the people around us. It was a nice, communal experience. But it was also weird. The guy was seriously old school. You know the type -- he kept talking about how people are distracted "with their computers" (as if computers are weird and foreign and only young people use them or know what they are about...and honestly, he probably doesn't have any experience with computers), and he brought a cassette player that was straight out of the '70s and told us that he is selling the bible on cassette if we want to buy it after the mission... Cassette...seriously?

But I feel really bad talking about legitimate shortcomings of the mission. The dude has a passion for God and he wants to share it with us. He means very well, and his message of Jesus touches a lot of people. Nine people with deafness were able to hear tonight...that is pretty incredible! Go God! So, maybe I just wasn't the right audience, or maybe I didn't have the right attitude, but this guy is actually doing something to spread his faith, which is more than I can say for myself. Unless me posting about my faith to like 3 people on this blog counts? Yeah not really.

Actually Tom told me last night about this Penn and Teller episode where one of the audience members came up to Penn and gave him a copy of the bible. And Penn, though an ardent atheist, told him that he respected him a lot because if there exists a religion where you believe that people who do not share your faith will go to Hell (which is totally another topic that I cannot even comprehend) then it is your duty to share your faith so that you try to help them. Because in that scenario, not talking about your beliefs and not trying to share your faith is the same as hating them enough so that you don't care what happens to them in the afterlife. I'm still wrestling with this concept and I don't know if I agree with it, but it's definitely a new perspective. Anyway, you can check it out here.

2 comments:

Tracie said...

loves you!!!!!!!

see you soon.

Molly said...

It sounds like an interesting experience. I often think about my shortcomings in sharing my faith. This guy obviously has been called to share his faith in an extraordinary way. I think that loving people and being clear about why you treat people that way (because we are loved by Christ) can be a huge influence on the people around you.