This was a night of really good conversations. First I had dinner with Tom and JoAnne. They are fantastic, generous people -- I really enjoy the time I get to spend with them. Plus, Santa Cruz was super beautiful. I want to go back soon and go on a nice bike ride along the beach!
Then on my drive home I got to talk with Tracie and Kramer. I love my friends. I know I'm not supposed to get my hopes up about this, but it's too late...I really hope that Tracie gets to come back to SF, but that would be suboptimal for her...so...Tracie, I'm torn... ;)
Kramer helped me think things through a lot. I realize that I've been afraid, and that has to stop. No risk, no reward, right? Being a grown-up can certainly be tricky, but it doesn't need to be.
I'm feeling a little stagnant in my faith, which is also affecting me. It's just been that kind of week where I feel totally disconnected. Maybe this has been for the past 2 weeks, actually. I didn't get to go to bible study on Thursday because of work, but now that work has slowed, I will definitely get to go this week. But I haven't really been praying or reading my bible and I have just cut myself off while I have been preoccupied with my insane deadlines. And on the theme of good conversations, now is the time to sit back and have another good conversation with God.
I have also realized that I actually consider Newman my home church. This is kind of a big deal. For so long during college I went to Newman reluctantly, because it was really the only option around. But I've tried out the churches in El Cerrito, and I find myself comparing them to Newman, and I miss Newman when I don't go to it. Today I went to mass at St. Jerome's which is next to my apartment, and it wasn't as satisfying. One good thing, though, about going to that mass today is that I found out about a healing service that is taking place there tomorrow and Tuesday. It sounds wild. Legit healing? Like Jesus healing the blind and deaf? The dude doing the service is a lay missionary and he claims that in these services, thousands of people have been healed -- the blind can see, deaf can hear, people have been cured of cancer, etc. Steph has been freaked out lately about a cold (Susan and Jess -- you scared her into thinking she has TB!!!) so I'm taking her to this healing service tomorrow. I think it will be an interesting experience, at the very least. I'm kind of excited to see what it's all about. I had no idea that this kind of stuff happened in my church...we're not pentecostal! ;) Weird. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Back to Reality
Posted by Erin at 10:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You're in my prayers, Erin.
NOT pentecostal?! Pentecost is all about the descent of the Holy Spirit. I wish we (i.e., Catholics) were more pentecostal--though, attending Mass at Newman Hall HOLY SPIRIT Parish is probably a good start. ;-)
But, to give ourselves a little more credit: we are all about the Holy Spirit, even if we don't outwardly manifest it quite like the Pentecostal churches. I mean, check out today's reading from Daniel--the Holy Spirit totally saves that woman through Daniel. "God stirred up the holy spirit of a young boy named Daniel, and he cried aloud [...]" (Daniel 13:45-46). And, we will celebrate Pentecost seven weeks after Easter, of course.
At any rate, enough Catholinerding. I pray that the Holy Spirit guides you through this spiritual dry spell. Amen!
Post a Comment